Monday, June 6, 2011

The Importance of a Name


A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.
Sitting in the broken down vehicle we all sighed with displeasure. The heat inside the van escalating, we opened doors desperate for a breeze only to listen to the sound of passing cars. Minutes crept by and the heat rose along with our sour attitudes. What would we do? Looking at our surroundings, I noticed a sign for Wankey Oil. “Wankey is a funny name. I’m glad my last name isn’t Wankey.” Some in the car smiled, the children laughed but one of the adults said, “I bet they have plenty of money to pay for anything they need. I would give up my name for that right now.” Pride for my last name, a gift from my husband, surged in me and my heart felt broken for them to be able to make such a statement. 

When we finally got back on the road the thought of my last name and its importance went around and around in my head. Oh, I would love to have a famous last name that would get me what I wanted and an inheritance to match. Who wouldn’t? My mind went deeper until a silent voice whispered in my ear telling me my name is not as important as I am making it. It is something but not everything. What is important is that I have my Heavenly Father’s name for me. His child. His beloved. His adopted one. And He has already blessed me with an inheritance-eternal life living in His radiant glory and love.

Still finding importance in my name as a gift from a family that has so lovingly taken me in, I also realize God has given me a family who has given an inheritance so much more important than money. What matters is what something is, not what it is called. Both sides of my family are lovers of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and they have passed this to me, my husband and now to our son. What an inheritance to be sure-the love of our Heavenly Father, eternal life, and an even bigger family to find comfort and support.

Dedicated to the many members of my family, all sides, who have shared their walk with Christ with my little family. Thank you and I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment